Free calling and messaging application for connecting with friends globally
WeChat is an app for iOS and android which allows you to send text and voice messages as well as voice and video chat over WiFi or data. Send and receive messages to friends from other countries and cellular carriers without any issues, including China. Now with a host of new features and support for Android Wear watches, WeChat is more powerful than ever.
Now you and receive text messages, voice messages, GIFs, images, and a host of other media to any other user of the app anytime you have a data connection. You can connect with other users using your native phone number and easily scan through your contacts to find out who is already using WeChat. If you are on the run, you can have the app read text messages to you and send a voice message in reply. Do you have friends who speak another language? No problem! Two-click translation makes it easy to connect across every border and language barrier.
The latest version of the app includes new ways of communicating, including sight (live broadcast an event as you see it happening), voice, and video messaging. A very popular chatting app in China, WeChat is supported across various nations and borders. While the current version only permits communication with other users of the app, users will find there are far more new and innovative ways of communicating.
- Widely used chat platform with over 4.8 million downloads.
- High-quality video and voice calls.
- Share videos, images, location, voice messages, and contact information easily.
- Support for Android Wear watch.
- Send stickers and emojis within the app.
- Supports reading text messages to you.
- Supports easy translation between multiple languages.
- Users report some instability with the latest version of the app.
- No calling out to mobile phones or landlines over VoIP.
What's New in WeChat 6.5.3
- Share videos from album to Moments or chats
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- BODY_SENSORS: Allows an application to access data from sensors that the user uses to measure what is happening inside his/her body, such as heart rate.
- CAMERA: Required to be able to access the camera device.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- READ_PHONE_STATE: Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device.
- READ_SMS: Allows an application to read SMS messages.
- RECORD_AUDIO: Allows an application to record audio.
- WRITE_CONTACTS: Allows an application to write the user's contacts data.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- BLUETOOTH_ADMIN: Allows applications to discover and pair bluetooth devices.
- BROADCAST_STICKY: Allows an application to broadcast sticky intents. These are broadcasts whose data is held by the system after being finished, so that clients can quickly retrieve that data without having to wait for the next broadcast.
- CHANGE_WIFI_MULTICAST_STATE: Allows applications to enter Wi-Fi Multicast mode.
- CHANGE_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to change Wi-Fi connectivity state.
- GET_PACKAGE_SIZE: Allows an application to find out the space used by any package.
- GET_TASKS: This constant was deprecated in API level 21. No longer enforced.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS: Allows an application to modify global audio settings.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to read the sync settings.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- SET_ALARM: Allows an application to broadcast an Intent to set an alarm for the user.
- SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW: Allows an app to create windows using the type TYPE_SYSTEM_ALERT, shown on top of all other apps. Very few apps should use this permission; these windows are intended for system-level interaction with the user.
- UNINSTALL_SHORTCUT: This permission is no longer supported.
- USE_FINGERPRINT: Allows an app to use fingerprint hardware.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SETTINGS: Allows an application to read or write the system settings.
- WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to write the sync settings.